Roasted Pepper Chicken Breast
Come dinner time and the question on all our minds is… what should we have? This week we decided to go with a change. It had been a while since I have made stuffed chicken breasts – as for some reason the breast never marinates properly.
But earlier this week, I decided it was time to give it another shot and after hunting for a recipe I came across this wonderfully stuffed chicken breast by ‘barbellsandbellinis’
This recipe pretty much had everything we love and the way it was described made me think that it will definitely stay moist even whilst on our plates. So here is Barbells and Bellini’s Roasted Red Pepper, Mozzarella and Basil stuffed chicken (with Mummy’s twist – obviously).
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, (sliced)
1 red pepper (thinly sliced)
1 bunch of basil, (whole leaves)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp of Red Chillies
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 200c. Grease a 9×12 casserole dish. Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing into the long side of the breast, stopping just about 1/4 of an inch from the opposite side.
2. Lay chicken breast in casserole dish opened up. Sprinkle the exposed insides of the chicken breast with 1/2 of the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
3. Roast the peppers in a small amount of olive oil till soft.
4. Stack the roasted red pepper, basil, and 1 slice of the mozzarella on the bottom side of the chicken.
5. Fold the top flap of the chicken over, tucking in the mozzarella, basil and roasted red pepper as necessary.
6. Sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning. Bake chicken for 30-40 minuteS (until chicken is no longer pink).
7. Pull chicken out of oven and turn the oven high. Top the chicken with the remaining mozzarella slices. Bake until cheese is browned and bubbly, which takes about 5 minutes.
We ate this succulent dish with cous cous, marinated olives and garlic bread. To be honest, a mid-week dish couldn’t get better than this.
Image by Barbells and Bellini’s